Central Dutchess County 60 miles north of New York City
Scenes from around the farm Hops, Crops and Nature
Stonewood Hops grows premium hops and other high value crops by utilizing the latest in technology and best practices and by using these hops to brew outstanding craft beverages. Stonewood also provides a centralized agri-tourism site with overnight accommodations in one of our rustic yurts and our converted barn.
Join our Hops CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). CSA members purchase their hop bines at a discount at the beginning of the season to ensure that they have a fresh hops supply come harvest. Hops CSA members are welcomed to the farm throughout the year for private parties, events and beverage releases and are offered priority booking for overnight stays.
In addition to our Hops CSA, we also offer pick your own hops open to the general public during Harvest Week which takes place around the first week in September each year.
We are growing three varieties of hops: Cascade, Chinook and Willamette. After research and consultation with national and regional hops experts, we chose these based upon suitability for Hudson Valley’s weather as well as their disease resistant qualities.
A little history
In 1869, the tracks for the Dutchess Columbia Railroad were laid on the property heading north towards Pine Plains. The old railroad bed traverses a wetlands on the eastern edge of the Stonewood Property that is rich with wildlife and waterfowl.
The Stonewood property was purchased in 1969 from the estate of the grandson of George Duryea Hulst, a famous botanist who helped design gardens at Sagamore Hill, Theodore Roosevelt's estate in Cove Neck, New York and also the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. He worked with his son Peter to implement some of the projects and in 1895 his son Peter moved to Lagrangeville and purchased the house across the street, built in 1787, and the land that is now part of Stonewood Farm. He moved to Dutchess County to help work on gardens at the Roosevelt Estate and Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park, NY.